Chelsea Jenkins | Gluten-Free Soldiers
The theme for this week, per usual, is gluten free! When people first hear gluten free they think, “…"oh no!", "nah", “gross”, “lettuce isn’t gonna cut it”. Well, believe it or not, you can choose healthy but delicious options and still leave the table satisfied. This week I wanted to go with a slow cooking option. To me slow cooking equals comfort food! Something warm, savory, and tender seems so appropriate with the current weather conditions.
I picked up the following ingredients with a few substitutes to make things healthier/tastier.
- I substituted vegan butter for regular butter to make the dish dairy free.
- Organic, free range chicken breasts (these can be a bit pricier).
- Organic lemon juice.
- 1 cup of water instead of ¼ cup.
- 2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon granules.
- ½ cup of dry white wine (professed wino – I used chardonnay).
- I also like to use basic tenderizer on the chicken prior to cooking.
I love this recipe because it's a “fix and forget”. Once you get through the first couple steps you can go about your business and let the slow cooker/crock pot do the work. If you don’t have a slow cooker you can always bake the chicken.
Ahhhh, delayed gratification – is there anything better? After the 3-6 hours are over you have put in minimum work for maximum flavor. I put the chicken over rice, but pasta (opt for gluten free) will do the trick too.
Enjoy your Lemon Garlic Chicken! Let me know how you like the recipe in the comments and don't forget to follow me on Instagram - @glutenfreesoldiers